Tips and advice
In the case of osteoarthritis the following tips may be helpful:
- Try to remain active; swimming, cycling and walking are all good forms of exercise.
- You may choose to follow an exercise programme issued by your physiotherapist.
- The video link shown on this page may help you by showing you some of the exercise that you could try. Remember to discuss starting a new exercise regime with your GP or healthcare practitioner and start any new form of exercise gently to begin with.
- Try to keep your weight within healthy margins. Excess weight will significantly influence the pain felt from osteoarthritis.
- Heat and ice may be helpful for dealing with pain.
- Painkillers and or anti-inflammatory tablets or gels may be useful. Discuss this with your GP or pharmacist before taking.